Friday, December 12, 2008

So very different

Todd at about 3 1/2 months old.


Jackson at 2 months old.
As you can see, Todd was a pacifier kid. He loved it and depended on it. Jackson comes along and he is going to be a thumb sucker. We have tried pacifiers and he does not like them. He works so hard to get that thumb in his mouth. In the last few days, he has gotten good at it.
I have mixed emotions about the thumb sucking. I do not have to keep up with it and worry about him dropping it during the night. However, I fear the day we have to break him from it. We can't just put it up and take it away. It looks like we have no choice.


5 comments:

Jeni said...

Wendy didn't take a pacifier until 10 months! She was never terribly attached to her thumb, but we wanted to her to prefer the pacifier so that we could wean her from it easily.

Unknown said...

Ava sucked her thumb and it was not a huge deal. We broke her of it when she was 3. She only sucked it at night while falling asleep and we put a glove on that hand so she couldn't do it. She was totally on board because she knew if she didn't suck her thumb for one month she got a prize. I wouldn't worry about it. If it comforts him, then it serves a good purpose.

tamblair said...

Girl, I sucked my thumb, so I am a little partial to the thumbsuckers. I think it is so sweet. Neither one of mine were interested in the thumb. Rather they were pathetically dependant on the pacifier. He looks so sweet.

Kristin said...

Elijah still sucks his thumb, although I know he doesn't at school. He has an open bite because of it, so we'll be doing braces for sure. We may have to have a dental appliance put in the roof of his mouth that keeps him from getting suction. I'm not sure how you can keep Jackson from doing it, though, and it is so very convenient...

Unknown said...

My uncle gave me such a hard time about Peyton having a paci, and yet, now at 6.5, Peyton lost his paci a LONG time ago, and my cousin at the same age will still suck his fingers. Oh well, I figure though, you never see a college kid sucking their thumbs.