Friday, August 25, 2006

Worrying

I have started a study called the Fingerprints of God. I have just done one section so I am not sure how great it is, yet. However, the first part had me looking at James chapter 1. I know I have read this a million times but this time it seemed to stick out to me in a way it never had. For those of you who do not know, I tend to be a person that worries. This was a inherited trait that my family fights. I have always had faith that God would take care of me, but I worried. I read this scripture and it was eye-opening. I have included the scripture in two translations. I included these because of the difference in wording. The first one is The Message. I have not always been a huge fan of this translation. I know a lot of people that really like it. I will agree that it says it in simplistic form, but almost too simplistic. However, I thought the phrasing was interesting.

James 1:5-8 (The Message)

If you don't know what you're doing, pray to the Father. He loves to help. You'll get his help, and won't be condescended to when you ask for it. Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought. People who "worry their prayers" are like wind-whipped waves. Don't think you're going to get anything from the Master that way, adrift at sea, keeping all your options open.



The next version is the version I read it in originally, NIV.

James 1:5-8 (NIV)

5If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. 6But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; 8he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does.

I was convicted after reading these scriptures. I have always justified my worrying. After reading this, I realized that this was a lack of faith. I love the part in The Message saying ask without a second doubt. That is so hard for me. I do totally believe that God has his hand over all that I do. I also believe that all will turn out for the good as long as I seek Him. I guess I just never really saw my worring as second guessing God. If you finish reading this to the end of the scripture, it says that if I doubt, I will not recieve anything from the Lord. OUCH!! That is the last thing I want..me making a sorry attempt at life without God's help. I know this was a lengthy blog. It was something that was on my mind and heart.

Do you struggle with worrying? If so, take another look at James. Do you see worrying as second-guessing God?

1 comment:

Franklin Wood said...

I really identify with the man who came to Jesus in Mark 9. He brought his demon-possessed son and said to Jesus, "IF YOU CAN do anything, please help us."
"If you can?" said Jesus. "Anything is possible for him who believes."
"I DO believe!" exclaimed the man, "help me overcome my unbelief!"
I tend to mentally say that I believe, but when the rubber hits the road, I realize that sometimes I need to re-examine my weak faith.