Friday, October 05, 2007

Be Still

I was called to study the passage in Psalm 37:7 the other night. I had prayed that I would be lea to the scripture that I needed to study. This is what I read.

Quiet down before God, be prayerful before him. Don't bother with those who climb the ladder, who elbow their way to the top.

Now the second part was not too impacting. However, the words that really drew me in was "Quiet down" or "Be still". Then I was drawn to Psalm 46:10. This passage is one I have read a million times, but I really read it and thought on it this time.

Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.

It was then that I was lead to a common story. A lesson that I have taught in children's classes and one that I have heard many lessons on in my lifetime. However, it spoke to me in a deeper way than I can even put into words. It was the scripture in Mark 4:38-40.

38Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, "Teacher, don't you care if we drown?"
39He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.
40He said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?"


After reading this, I felt a feeling like I had not felt in quite some time. A feeling of comfort and peace. I could feel myself saying to God, "Lord, why me. Don't you care. I feel like I am drowning in life and do you just sit and watch?" It was then that I heard my Lord whisper to me, "Carrie, be still and be calm. Why are you afraid. Do you still have no faith?" Wow. I was opened to my true self. Why do I question. Why do I wonder if He is present. The same God that watches over me was willing to give His only son for me. Of course he cares! Of course he is there waiting for me.

I realized I have been running. I have been busy so that I do not have to deal with the hurt I have faced. I have been fearful of what trial I would endure next. Sad to say, my prayers have been guarded. Sure I have prayed faithfully but not openly. I have been awaken by the words of these scriptures. I have been told to be still. That is hard. I will leave with these words from a song that allowed me to make it through the loss of our precious baby girl. I sang this song many times with tears flowing from my eyes. I suppose it will always have a big place in my heart. I wished I was an artist. I would draw a picture of my Lord with a hand holding numerous tears. In each tear, would be words or names of things that I have cried over. Some are so insignificant. Others shook my faith but did not keep me down. This is a part of the song by Casting Crowns, " Praise You in this Storm".

And I'll praise you in this storm and i will lift my hands that you are who you are no matter where I am and every tear I've cried you hold in your hand you never left my side and though my heart is torn I will praise you in this storm

4 comments:

Unknown said...

"my strength is almost gone. How can I carry on
if I can't find You
and as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"

This part always strikes me. Most times I feel I am so emotionally stunted that I will never feel fully for God the way I should. I really appreciate your writings. They are so inspirational.

Rebecca said...

You are in my prayers.
Your blogs are such great "nourishment" to me! We have been studying Psalms in our Sunday morning Bible class. It really opened my eyes to realize that the psalmist was angry in a lot of the passages, sad and overcome with grief at other times, and then joyful at times as well. He always turned to God no matter what he was feeling. My hope is that He continues to comfort you and hold you in His hand.

Kristin said...

I really needed this reminder today. I know God is often telling me to "Be still" and I just ignore Him and try to do it all by myself. I enjoy reading your blog and keeping up with you in this way! I'm glad you found mine as well - I've really found it to be great therapy. Know that you've been in my thoughts and prayers.

Unknown said...

Who would ever know the power of a smiley face. :)