Friday, April 11, 2008

Huge Nightmare!

Let me just start this off and say that this has nothing to do with our unborn child!

I will tell you how the last 24 hours has been for me. Last night, we were expected to get some severe storms. I had followed the weather and knew the approximate time they would arrive. Just like clock work, Todd popped into our room at that time (1:00 ish). There was no way he was returning to bed. Brad left the bed and let Todd in. We had gotten home late because Brad had a flat tire (another good story for the last 24 hours) and so we had not given Todd his Zyrtec. He snored, coughed, and sputtered all night. On top of that, he slept right up next to me. Needless to say, sleep did not happen last night.

After no sleep, I woke up to see how the weather was going to be the remainder of the day. I saw bad storms expected around 10:30. I prepared for the worst and headed to school. During reading, we had a practice tornado drill because we missed it yesterday. We got in our spot in the hallway. 2-3 minutes later, we were back to the letter L. I got 3 picture identified and discussed when we hear this message, "Students, all faculty, and staff, this is a tornado drill." The kids moaned and we were not happy either. This time, we had to go to the 5th grade boy's bathroom. It doesn't get any nastier than that. We had our kids down basically sniffing nasty floors. The drill got longer and longer so we moved out of the bathroom. Finally, we realized that not far from the school, their was a tornado touchdown. Now, keep in mind, the kids think this is practice. As the time goes on, they are getting mad. They are complaining that they hurt. Finally, they told the 5th grade down our hall that it was real. After about 1 hour and 15 minutes, we were allowed to return to class. We missed our lunch schedules and most importantly, my kids missed their playtime. As you can imagine, we did not get anything accomplished the remainder of the day!

So, Jeni, it was taken very seriously. I know that both the principal and the assistant principal were outside watching the storms because we lost contact with central office. We all made it fine, but it was not fun! The funny thing is my poor kids thought it was just a long drill. When I asked Todd, he said he didn't like it because his legs hurt and "I was beginning to think it was a real tornado or something". Some of the Kindergarten even went to sleep!

2 comments:

Jeni said...

I'm glad y'all were in your safe spots inside. I could see several people out in the parking lot every time I went out on the porch, and I was glad they were keeping such a close eye on things - especially with those black swirling clouds right overhead!!!

Sorry Wendy wouldn't say hi today - she's just started taking Zyrtec, and it makes her pretty sleepy. We left church, had lunch, and then went straight to NCS to see my brother (and others) in the Sound of Music. Other than 5 minutes in the car, Wendy didn't have a nap all day - but she was very good during the musical.

Rebecca said...

Glad it all turned out ok!