Thursday, January 22, 2009

Wake up call

Have you ever had those moments with your kids that is God waking you up and teaching you a lesson you needed? Well, I had one of those moment last night. Todd came in from school and things were going normal.. homework, Ar book, etc. We were on the "go to church schedule" which is a mad race since we start at 6:30. Due to the early time, we meet Brad at church. Long story short, Todd lost his chance to play the Wii on Wednesdays because he would not get off when he was supposed to get off, which was making us run late to church. We get in the car and he starts asking if he can earn his time back with good behavior. We have allowed this under certain circumstances, but he obviously was not learning the lesson by earning it back. I told him no. That set off the bomb of temper! Many minutes into his fit and losing the Wii for today, he says," Why can I not earn it back?" I quickly and angrily reply, "Because we don't get second chances in life to earn things back!" Suddenly I realized what I had said. It was at that moment that this scripture popped in my head..
Romans 3:23-24 (New Living Translation)
23 For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard. 24 Yet God, with undeserved kindness, declares that we are righteous. He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins.
Ouch!! That really hurt. Who am I to say that we don't get 2nd chances. If that is the case, I was done with long ago. Thankfully, the Lord has poured out His mercy upon me and I have a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc chances!
Well, I am sure you all want to know if he got to earn his Wii back. He can earn back the Wednesdays by following directions. He did not earn back today because it was totally out of anger and lack of self-control. I did correct my no 2nd chances, but I explained that mistakes have consequences and that his consequence would be to have no Wii tomorrow. I explained that his 2nd chance was to prove he could handle it on Wednesdays.

No comments: