Thursday, August 14, 2008

In Your Eyes

I have always felt like every person has been given special talents that should be used for God's Kingdom. I know that for some people these talents are easier discovered than for others. I, however, have seen this in a different way lately. I have been drawn to the thought that God gives us "different eyes" that allow us to see different people in different ways. I feel like as a church, when we use those eyes, there would be no one left out or excluded. I think that we could not have enough room in any building to seat all of those that we could reach.



Brad and I have spent some time discussing what "eyes" we were given. I have no doubt that Brad was given the eyes for teens. Not only does he do well with teens, he does well with teens that struggle or whose parents do not attend church. He can convince many teens to come to things that do not do anything. He can build relationships with them quickly.


My "eyes" are 2 fold. I have a talent with children with disabilities. Unfortunately, I have never been in a church where this has been used. I have reached many people through my jobs with this gift. My other view is teens. I love their minds. I love that they are trying to find their own faith and are not afraid to be honest when they don't get something.


Here is the thing that frustrates me about all of this... I think even though we are given different eyes, we are still from the same Father and should have the same mindset. I may not have eyes for foreign missions, but I still appreciate that mission and support it because it is someone's passion. It seems that many times, we get wrapped up in our vision that we forget to support others vision. After all, isn't that the purpose of church?


So, what are your talents that you feel that God gave you? Do you think that it is easy for you to use this talent in a church setting?

1 comment:

Jeni said...

Before I answer your question - you can move this up to the top if you edit it & change the post date - somehow it says you wrote it on 8/14!

I think I have a real talent for coming up with ideas - be it for social events, projects, themes for classes, or new areas of outreach.

And yet, even though I'm good at coming up with the ideas, I'm very undisciplined when it comes to follow-through, so nothing ever gets done. I'm also shy & reluctant to start anything myself, so it's hard for me to share my ideas.

I think there's a place in the church for me to use my talent; I just need to work on having the courage and persistence to get it done!