Monday, December 31, 2007

That Moment


This picture may seem a little strange, especially since Christmas has come and gone. However, this ornament brought about a discussion with Todd that is unforgettable. He and I were in Walmart looking at the 50% off merchandise. We came across some really cute ornament balls. I have never been a huge fan of the balls but these had Santa faces and snowmen. He really wanted to buy some and at that price, why not. I bent down to show him all of the different kinds that they had. As I pulled out the snowman, a box of ornaments were behind it like the ones in the picture. He said, "Mommy that is a picture of baby Jesus in the manger with Mary." I told him that he was right. He immediately began one of the sweetest conversations. He insisted that we needed those ornaments because that was the point of Christmas. He continued, "After all, Christmas is not about the presents it is about the birth of baby Jesus. If it weren't for Jesus, we would not have a Christmas." We continued this discussion for quite some time. He was saying that some people don't see it that way, but he does. He likes presents but "Jesus is way more important". I was so proud of him. We ended that discussion and I began looking at ornament storage containers. I glanced back and thought his eyes were closed. Then, I felt a small tug on my shirt and in a whisper this is what I heard. "Mommy, I just prayed". Tear began to fill my eyes. I wanted to grab him and say, now you've got it. You understand it. However, that would have confused him. Instead I said, "Wow, Buddy, that is so great. What did you pray about?" He replied, "Just everything."
This was one of those moments I pray about. For those of you that do not really know Todd, God has given him a heart unlike many males. He is very in tune with people's emotions. He has a servant heart. Trust me this is not any of my doing, only the Father. However, I pray often that Brad and I will raise him to have a servant heart. Sometimes that is a scary prayer. What if he is called to go to a far off country? But I still continue to pray for Him to have that heart. I saw that heart in Walmart. I saw that he was understanding things that will forever change his life.
As I conclude on 2007, I realize how blessed I am. Sure there have been heartaches this year. I lost the little girl that I long for. Brad was out of work some, Todd has been ill a lot lately, my mom still has MS, the list could continue. But, through all of this, I am blessed with the security of knowing that my Father will and does provide all that I need and more. HE has blessed me with a family that I love so dearly. He has blessed me with a church that stretches me spiritually. He has provided financially when it looked bleak. I pray that the Lord blesses us this year and that more than ever we will see His glory revealed to us. May God bless you all in 2008!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I appreciate your honesty here about the frustrations and heartaches you've been through this year - and those you continue to go through. Through my own trials and heartaches I've learned that what hurts makes you stronger - even when you can't possibly understand how or why and even when you think you may never get back up again. God gives us the strength and mercy we need for each day. I'm so sorry about your mom. A few years ago I heard she was having some health issues and never heard what became of them so I didn't know of her MS until this post. You're in my thoughts and your parents, too.

Unknown said...

I hope you have a wonderful new year!

tamblair said...

What a great little boy! And he seems wise beyond his years... probably wiser than me.